Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a set of front forks with no caliper attachment. The

Customer Question

I have a set of front forks with no caliper attachment. The sliders are smooth with no way of attaching calipers. What type of forks are these ?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

it's not as uncommon as you may think.

some sliders were shaved down for a clean look. no fender. no calipers.

early iron heads used drum brakes, which mounted on the axle, not the slider.

you can replace those with aftermarket sliders for various applications. try Teds V-Twin manufacturing:

https://www.vtwinmfg.com/

click on GUEST and hover your mouse pointer over SPORTSTER in the left margin to find your category.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't want to replace the sliders.so your telling me that I can go with a drum brake in the front ?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

Sorry, I don't do pone calls..

you should be able to use a drum brake IF the forks you have will work with drum brakes. there is no way to tell unless you can talk to the original owner and find out if the forks you have were modified in any way. the drum brakes have a relief on the outboard side that the slider sets in. this keeps the drum from spinning when you apply the brakes. as long as all the parts fit together you should be good to go.

Steve