Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

2007 kawasaki mule wont start. fuel pump went bad, and

Customer Question

2007 kawasaki mule wont start. fuel pump went bad, and caused the igniter switch to go bad. we bought a new one and bypassed the fuel pump relay, but there is still no spark. there is power before the coils, but none to plugs. what should we do next?
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a new battery, fuel pump and ignitor switch. machine turns over but cant get a spark.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
both coils wouldn't likely go out at the same time right?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi Erick, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, does "...power before the coil..." mean that there is IGN+12V at the 1 wires supplied to the ignition coils? ...depending on which Mule version, usually a yellow/white wire? If yes, would there be pulsating voltage on the other wire to the ignition coil when attempting to start?

Still, proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done):

• • test for +12 V to the igniter usually, the brown wire;
  • • and the voltage of the gray wire to the igniter too;
  • • when attempting to start, check for low pulsating voltage from the pickup coil.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a neighborhood mechanic has been looking at it. he is retired and doesnt do a lot of work on atvs. He has the wireing diagram and has been eliminating possible problems. He tested the original igniter and determined it wasn't working. with the new one in, the power is getting to the proper places. As far as I know he is getting proper voltage to the coil wires.
this is a 2007 3010 mule.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we found that on this model there is some kind of flaw with the way it was designed. the fuel pump relay causes the fuel pump and the igniter to go bad. so we bypassed the pump relay and bought a fuel pump and an igniter switch. This info we found on an online forum.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the mechanic has eliminated the 3 proposed checks that you asked for.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

IF there is ignition +12V supplied to 1 terminal of the ignition coil and there is pulsating voltage on the other terminal of the ignition coil (when attempting to start), THEN by induction, there would be high voltage produced; spark.

IF both the above voltages are present BUT "...still no spark...", THEN the ignition coil becomes suspect.

This would hold true if the "...original igniter...bad..." caused the failure to the ignition coil.