P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

HAVE 2009 HD SOFTAIL DELUXE WITH H-DSSS SECURITY. PUTTING

Customer Question

HAVE 2009 HD SOFTAIL DELUXE WITH H-DSSS SECURITY. PUTTING LEDS IN REAR OF BIKE BIKE SEAT FOE 3 MONTHS BATTERY WENT BAD, PUT IN NEW ONE, NOW NOTHING IS WORKING, ALL I HAVE IS THE FRONT RUNNING LIGHTS ARE ON EVEN IF THE BIKE IS OFF, AND OIL LIGHT IS ALWAYS, EVEN WITH BIKE SHUT OFF. ANY IDEAS. THANK YOU
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be working with you today.

Expert:  P.J. replied 2 months ago.

That is typically what happens when the battery terminals are connected to the wrong polarity on the battery.

The oil light is turned on when it receives a ground and the running lights will as well when the ground becomes positive. I would suggest verifying the polarity of the battery and the position of the battery cables.

If all this is correct then disconnect the battery and check the polarity of the battery with a volt meter. There are times when new batteries leave the manufacturer with the incorrect polarity.

If all this turns out not to be the problem then let me know and, using your volt meter, we can begin to troubleshoot.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wow, wish it would been that easy, anything hook up right, battery is ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just check all wires going to ground have 12 volts going to them
Expert:  P.J. replied 2 months ago.

Are you testing with a volt meter? Do you have a volt meter with a continuity setting? Are you familiar with how to use it?

There is only one way to get power to the grounds and that is a wire in the wrong position somewhere. If it was a just a short circuit either the maxi fuse would blow or the wire would melt and break.

Is there anything else connected to the battery other than the main two cables? Something like a battery tender connection. This would be a possibility, as well as a bare spot on the positive cable, or an issue down around the starter solenoid terminals.