kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experience in Harley Davidson and Triumph
68360881

I am having blow back and carbon shooting out the air

Customer Question

I am having blow back and carbon shooting out the air intake. It backfires and sputters between 0-55 mph, but once opened up runs like it did before. It just happened in the middle of a ride, backfiring and blowing carbon(black)reside on the air filter. I changed the plugs, wires, and air filter, also used sea foam to clean injectors and top half of engine, but no prevail. Is it a valve or is it an injector that's clogged?
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The only time it sputters and backfires is when I let off the throttle. Giving throttle it doesn't sputter or backfire.
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, you can perform a compression test to see if it's a valve sticking. Both cylinders should be within 10% of each other. Valve issues on the modern motors are not very common. To be honest what you describe sounds more like a faulty ignition control module. Unfrtunately there's no test procedure for the ICM than to replace it with a known good one.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** what it is?

More than likely, yes