Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

Dead battery on a triglide, the lights and radio work

Customer Question

dead battery on a triglide
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: the lights and radio work strong. Just turns over once or twice then ends. I do not have a voltmeter
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2014 triglide
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can not figure out how to expose the battery/terminals. I was then going to jump start it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I know nothing so I got that going for me
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I would appreciate the opportunity to help with your question.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

do not jump start that bike.

to access the battery, remove the seat and cut the zip ties on the ECM plate. if your security system has an antenna, remove that. then move the ECM plate out of the way enough to access the battery.

again, resist he urge to jump start a motorcycle with a car. you can use the car to charge the battery......then.....remove the jumper cables and attempt to start the engine.

I recommend that, while you have the battery terminals exposed, you purchase a "Battery Tender" and install the pig tail on your terminals. then, you can plug the battery into your tender whenever you park the bike.

let me know if you need more help.

Expert:  Steve replied 12 days ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,