Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

The check engine light came on after installing

Customer Question

The check engine light came on after installing vanceandhines pipes, big air and control on HD fatboy 2013. what can I do?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: it stays on
JA: What is the model of your '13 motorcycle?
Customer: fatboy lo
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, tried turning ignition on and off three times and turn off run switch
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: can you help
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I would appreciate the opportunity to help with your question.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

the first thing you should do is check the diagnostic codes.

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" (on mine the “t” looks more like a “╘” )with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

1 - Record the codes.

2 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 3 If the code is current it will reappear.

4 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

5 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected.

"No Rsp" will also appear if the run/off switch is in the off position when doing this procedure.

HFSM = Hands Free Security Module
TSM = Turn signal module

let me know what you find.

Expert:  Steve replied 9 days ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,