Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

I have a 94 Kawasaki bayou 220. would start fine wit pull

Customer Question

I have a 94 Kawasaki bayou 220. would start fine wit pull start. I needed an ignition switch so I replaced it along with a new starter solenoid hoping to get electric start to work. old solenoid wasn't powering the fuse. new solenoid power the fuse but still nothing when I hit start button. So i installed push button to both sides of the solenoid . it turned starter but burnt up push button, it was to light I guess. But now I have no spark at all! Black wire with yellow stripe is suppose to be ground but now it seems to have power? What did I burn up?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Light? No light issue! No spark now after replacing ignition switch and solenoid?
JA: What is the model of your '94 motorcycle?
Customer: Bayou 220 KLF 220A
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and agree; black/yellow should be tied to ground. Based on the description of "... Black wire with yellow stripe...seems to have power...", then proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done):

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring;
  • • of particular interest to the battery's - terminal and its own black/yellow wire;
  • • re-check or better yet, hardwire a secondary ground bus to the engine;
  • • and to the frame as well.

Additionally, re-checks and review of the basics:

• • ignition switch's black/yellow (ground) & the yellow/red from the CDI also serve as a KILL switch same as the Engine Stop switch;
  • • starter relay's white wire is the always available +12V supply to the system through the ignition switch;
  • • while its coil's brown wire is the IGN+12 supply from the ignition switch;
  • • and its black wire is switched to ground through the interaction of the starter circuit relay and the START button switch.