P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

2009 HD XR 1200 5k miles, battery would not take a charge so

Customer Question

2009 HD XR 1200 5k miles , battery would not take a charge so replaced it. Bike cranks but will not start....fuel ok. Tried spray ether ...would start for a second but won't keep running. let set for couple hours to fully charge battery ....still will not start...thinking not getting fuel,
"Key" icon on speedo on, but as far as I know bike does not have security system...
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If this model has or uses fuses I would check and see if any fuses had shorted out due to a voltage surge or spike from replacing the battery.I have seen battery replacement cause this issue here before like this and the affected fuse(s) needing replaced.

If this is or was checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
checked all the fuses all ok, double checked the fuel pump fuse OK.... How can I see if fuel is getting to fuel injectors?
disconnected fuel hose from gas tank fuel is there....in the old days would just pour gas into carb.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately I do not show or have any diagrams on this here myself but others here may be able to give you more info on how to test this further.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  P.J. replied 5 months ago.

The only proper way to check for fuel is with a gauge that connects inline. The pressure should build up to 60psi and hold 55psi or higher for a few minutes.

If you hear the pump run for a second or two when first turning the ignition on and the run/stop switch to run then you can pop the fuel tank disconnect and you should notice some pressure built up. This isn't a good way to test anything but it will tell you a little. Its obviously a little dangerous as fuel will spray around. I'd suggest finding a test gauge.

The key symbol is not just for security indication. If it is solid illuminated then it is indicating a trouble code in the turn signal module or cirucits. You can check for those codes via the speedometer. I can help you with those steps if you aren't familiar with it. Only the spark would be affected if there is an issue in the turn signal module so if you do have spark then the problem is likely somewhere else.

Try this first though. Remove the air filter cover and filter. Disconnect the plug from the throttle control motor (TCM) (located just behind and to the rear of the air filter backing plate. With a small screwdriver carefully wedge open the throttle plate very slightly. Try to start the bike. If it tries to start and seems that it wants to run then the problem is likely in that TCM or plug. It is a fairly common problem.

If it won't fire at all on the gasoline then try once again with the throttle plate wedged open to spray starting fluid and, if it fires, try to keep it running with short blasts of the spray. If this seems to work then you know you have a fuel supply issue.

If it acts the same way, running only for a second or so then losing spark and shutting down, then something has to be disabling the ignition. A problem within the turn signal module not allowing the ECM to recognize it will cause this. A diagnostic computer system will be needed to diagnose and fix that problem.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.