TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.

I have Honda rancher its stuck in gear and since it is it

Customer Question

I have Honda rancher its stuck in gear and since it is it won't start. How to start it even tho its stuck in gear
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: No where is it?
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: Its a 2000
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried to use manual shift tool to get out of gear but didn't work. I figure it had go be in nutral
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Why its stuck in gear also
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is electric start. 2000 Honda rancher 350 FE
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 month ago.

The transmission must be in neutral for it to start. There is a safety system built into the starter circuit to prevent it from starting in gear. It can be bypassed in an emergency by shorting across the two heavy battery posts on the starter relay with an open end wrench.

The most likely problem with the shifting is the gearshift spindle assembly inside the front engine cover. It is part #10 on this diagram:

What happens is the engagement claws on the spindle that engage the shift drum get bent and prevent the shift drum from rotating. It is a common failure on this model.

Please leave a positive rating so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can always add a reply if you need further assistance with this problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this part also referred to as the shift plate that I have been reading about? Also part 10 in the diagram just looks like a housing that a shaft goes thru. Are you saying it has probably worn out and is sloppy?
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 month ago.

Yes, this is also referred to as the shift plate. The diagram is not a very good drawing of what the part actually looks like. On the back side there are two claws that engage the pins on the shift drum. Typically these claws are either bent, broken or worn out.