Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

MY 06 Yamaha venture royal would not idle so I took it in to

Customer Question

MY 06 Yamaha venture royal would not idle so I took it in to have the carburetors cleaned in May 2016, cost over $1200. Four months later I developed an exhaust leak near the jug and when I would start it, it would not idle, if I tried driving around it would back fire, it would surge forward then slow down and continually die. Before this happening I would drive the motorcycle once a week sometimes 2 weeks would go by before getting on it. I took it back to the same dealership a week ago. They called me back today saying they fixed the exhaust leak and they had to reclean the carburetors and charging me $780. I feel this is excessive, the carburetors should not need cleaning and if there were any problems with the carbs they did something wrong.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If fuel was allowed to sit in the carb's for a period of time without the engine being run this can gum up the carb's and cause this fault here to where they need cleaned all the time or if there is contamination in the fuel this causes this issue as well.I have also seen where some places will charge for carb cleaning when it isnt needed so this is also a possibility.Next time there is an issue here I would see if another repair facility in your area can look into to see if they say that it also needs the carbs cleaned as this is usually the only way to find out for sure if this actually needs done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete