Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2004 V-Strom 650. I've replaced the stater, voltage

Customer Question

I have a 2004 V-Strom 650. I've replaced the stater, voltage rectifier and battery.
Putting a voltage meter on it tells me that it's charging (13+ volts @ 5,000 RPM).
I left the voltage meter on it after shutting the motor down, and the battery voltage continued to drop. About 2 or 3 volts in 5 or so minutes.
So, basically... what the heck is the deal?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Hi Rex, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done):

• charging (13+ volts @ 5,000 RPM) - it should be 14.0 - 15.5V @ 5,000 RPM;
  • replaced the stater - any pairing of the three (3) stator wires should show 0.2 - 0.7 Ω;
  • • but none to engine ground;
  • • any pairing of the three (3) stator wires should show produce 60VAC @ 5,000RPM;
  • battery voltage continued to drop - have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • 2 or 3 volts in 5 or so minutes - try checking again with the regulator temporarily disconnected.