Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a HD softtail custom2007, it has a issue that doesn't

Customer Question

I have a HD softtail custom2007, it has a issue that doesn't happen all the time. When it happens it may last a day or couple weeks. Speed o meter doesn't work, high gear shift light doesn't work, turn signals don't shut off after turning, gas gauge doesn't work, low fuel light stays on, engine will shut off about half the time when you slow down to stop HELP!!!!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I would appreciate the opportunity to help with your question.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

measure the battery voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

- with the engine at 2,000 rpm (fast idle).

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OFF 18.16
ON 17.46
START BUTTON DEPRESSED 17.35
ENGINE AT 2000 RPM 19.27
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

are you sure about the voltage readings?

is there a chance the readings are incorrect?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will recheck
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Off 17.24
On 17.24
2000 RPM 19.00
This was done with everything working properly on bike ????
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

I am unsure how your battery can read 17.24 vdc

a 100%, fully charged lead acid battery reads 12.7 vdc.

also at 2,000 rpm, your charging system puts out approximately 14.2 vdc, not 19.

the only explanation I can come up with is you have the meter set to measure ACV and those readings are "mvac".

please double check you have the meter set to measure DCV and try again.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
12.91 OFF
12.55 ON
12.40 start button depressed
14.04 2000 rpm
That better sometimes I guess you have s brain fart
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

- I see you have the battery on a charger. is there a reason for that?

- I see no problem with your battery or charging system.

- you need to check for diagnostic codes:

1- Turn ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word "diag" should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC's the code will be displayed or the word "none" will appear if there are no DTC's. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC's are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC's again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn ignition switch to OFF.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1st time P had code P0501 after starting engine and cutting engine off and rechecking all was clear?????
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also, I don't have bike on charger????????
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

a lead acid battery for your motorcycle reads 12.7 vdc at 100% charge.

any higher reading of the battery voltage indicates it was on a charger, or just came off a charger.

I don't make this stuff up.

P0501 = VSS low, carb. means there is a intermittent problem with your vehicle speed sensor.

this explains your problem. how it works is......the vehicle speed sensor plugs into your ECM. the ECM is the central computer for your bike. the vss tells the ECM how fast you are going, which allows the ECM to make decisions base on that information. the ECM then tells the speedo what to display, to share that information with you. your speedo is nothing more than a computer peripheral device, like a printer on your home computer.

you can remove the vss from the transmission and clean it and see if that helps. check the wiring from the vss to the ECM and check all connectors. if the problem persists, I would replace the vss.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve