Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Clutch wont "engage", ie moves forward even with clutch

Customer Question

Clutch wont "engage", ie moves forward even with clutch lever pulled in. Have both the lever adjuster and the main adjuster set to max and it still runs on. I changed the oil, no noticeable change. 1968 Suzuki S32-2 Olympian
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Not really. Sometimes I find and extra neutral between 1st and 2nd
JA: What is the model of your '68 Suzuki?
Customer: 1968 S32-2 Olympian 150cc
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried adjusting the cable at both the handlebars and where it goes into the housing. I have changed the trans oil. Its been difficult to get it to hold the setting , but I could always get it to work by playing with it a bit, but not today.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I also tried freeing up the plates by riding it with the clutch lever pulled in and me standing on the rear brakes. Didnt work.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

From what you have described here this sounds like a fault with the clutch assembly itself.It may be binding internally not releasing causing this fault here.I suspect the clutch components need inspected internally to locate which component is at fault and from there that component replaced to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, that's pretty much what I thought. The good news (I guess) is I am probably a better diagnostician that I thought. Here's an update and a tad more information. Let me know if gives you any clues.First, I had the sprocket cover off yesterday while I was playing with the clutch cable. I noticed that the "clutch housing thrust washer", which fits on the rod had come loose from its housing (I think its just a pressure fit) and had begun to move away from its housing toward the "clutch release screw arm". It was still firmly attached to the rod (the rod runs through it) so I just pushed it back into place.Second, I have noticed when it worked it took a bit more effort to pull on the clutch lever. Now, I can see the "clutch release" moving when I pull on the lever and I can feel it engage when I pull the lever past the "free play point" except now it is relatively ez pull on the clutch lever. You can feel the resistance but it is mild at best. It still shifts great. So, I dont know if its because when its being ridden the clutch works in every gear but first, or whether when I am riding I am just hitting the "shift points" dead on and pulling the clutch in is doing nothing. I know if I put it on the stand and put it in 2nd or 3rd the clutch will not disengage.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I show and have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No response from anyone as yet. Here are more details:The wet clutch on my 1968 Suzuki S32-2 seems to be stuck. Adjusting both the tension at the lever and the one by the sproket housing to the max possible worked for most of the summer, but now it refuses to disengage. It runs fine and idles, but put it in gear and it lurches forward. I have:1) tried to physically dislodge it by getting it rolling and then stomping on the rear breaks. I can say the brakes work great, but still didn't dislodge the clutch.
2) removed the sprocket cover. When you pull on the clutch lever, you can see the push rod begin to spin.
3) removed the transmission cover to expose the clutch. Pulled the plates. All of the cork plates came in at spec and I saw no warping of the metal plates. The clutch housing (basket) looked to be in excellent shape. There were a few light groves that I took out with a file. When I had the clutch pressure plate out, I could pull on the clutch lever and see the clutch rod move forward to push against the clutch pressure plate. When I reassembled it, however, no change. Now I am at a loss,