Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Popping and backfiring with a bit of a bog when

Customer Question

Popping and backfiring with a bit of a bog when starting,acts like its flooding out a bit
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Through the exhaust,and generally after using the choke when starting,also if you let idle for a bit you get the same occur since,I was told cold blooded but I don't believe it,my carb set up is a um mikunI 38 mm round slide
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: It's a custom ATV,2001 Yamaha Warrior with a 396 Hot Rods striker kit,KnN air filter with an putter wears cover
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's all fairly new,a sports hop has done the work he's away so I've been looking into it myself and getting opinions on carb settings and also I'm going to see what the spark plug looks like after work today
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has a stage two hot cam as well that's all ,thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It does it whenever you start or let it idle for a bit,wondering if it loads up with gasThrottle response is great though,I'll check the plug and tell you what it looks like,could she be suffocating due to a dirty filter or possibly getting to much air
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This may be an issue with a lack of fuel in some cases.If there is a restricted fuel filter or fuel component this will cause this fault here and would need corrected.I would check for any fuel components that may be causing a restriction needing replaced.If this is or was checked and found o.k. already let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've changed the fuel filter my plugs a little dark not sooty more like dark brown I'll be replacing the plug for a better indicated and also cleaning my pre filter and checking my air file screw adjustment,its more the midrange bog that bugging me at the moment and the carb and tank are new so Odontoceti believe their dirty
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately this is a difficult question for me to be able to answer myself fully here but others here may be able to assist further.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete