Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

My 2009 Harley Trike has a vibration in 4th & 5th Gear at

Customer Question

My 2009 Harley Trike has a vibration in 4th & 5th Gear at 2800rpms at 50mph feels sound like a rumble strip noise but not as loud.????
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

Hello

I'd 1st check that the driveshaft isn't out of alignment. So check that the U-Joints are properly aligned, as they have to line up with each other or it will vibrate some

if thats OK then check that the wheels are correctly balanced and one other thing to check for which isn't covered by a balance check is out of round or bent wheels, if you use a dial gauge on the axle to measure the run out on the wheel rim this will ensure that the wheels are round and true

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Drive shaft ??? U joints???
We are talking about a belt driven trike correct???
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

Hello

Ok yes but there are a pair of driveshafts running to each wheel?

unless you have the live axle version of the trike but that should be an earlier year