Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Suzuki Burgman 650 suddenly won't start. Checked fuses,

Customer Question

Suzuki Burgman 650 suddenly won't start. Checked fuses, tried to jump start. It's not the kill switch and the kick stand was up. Seems like it's the battery but no change when we tried to charge. Any ideas?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Hi Mary, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Still, check (or better yet, replace) the main (40A) fuse between the red/white wire from the battery's + terminal and a red wire. Check also the other red/white wire from the starter relay. To locate the starter relay, follow the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Secondary tries:

• • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Use an old screwdriver/wrench and expect a big spark. If it does not crank, then possibly a cable and/or battery terminal issue;
  • • if it does crank, then ensure that its yellow/black wire has a good ground connection;
  • • and that its yellow/green wire gets an IGN+12 when pressing on the starter button;
  • • if there is good ground and IGN+12, then there should be a click from the relay;
  • • no click, ground or IGN+12 missing;
  • • there is a click but starter motor would not spin, then relay would be suspect;
  • • no IGN+12, then check the wiring, connectors and switches;
  • • no good ground connection, consider hardwiring a second ground line.