Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

I am having a problem with my 2004 Honda 450 ES ATV. The

Customer Question

I am having a problem with my 2004 Honda 450 ES ATV. The rotor was bad and I replaced it. I put everything back together and the neutral light does not light up and the indicator which shows what gear you are only blinks a horizontal line. It worked before I replaced the rotor. Could I have damaged the gear position switch while replacing the rotor?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Original. No, but everything worked fine until I replaced the rotor.
JA: Are you fixing your ES yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I am doing it myself. I wasn't getting spark. I replaced the regulator, coil, spark plug, and ignition control module. Finally I checked the alternator and a volt had fallen out of the flywheel/rotor and chewed up the stator. I replaced the stator and the problem above appeared.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and based on the above description, proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done):

• • check harness' ground connections (green wires);
  • • better yet, consider hardwiring a secondary ground path from the harness' green wire to the battery's - terminal;
  • • and to the engine and to the frame;
  • • check low resistance of all yellow-to-yellow pairing of stator wires BUT none to engine ground;
  • • check high resistance of the ignition pulse generator (pulser coil)'s blue/yellow wire to engine ground;
  • • check NEUTRAL position switch continuity to ground on the light green/red wire;
  • • do the same for the REVERSE position switch continuity to ground on its gray wire.