Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

Polaris 2004 Ranger TM - was running good. Now will not try

Customer Question

Polaris 2004 Ranger TM - was running good. Now will not try to start - Battery check excellent - starter does not engage - no sound - no click - nothing
dash lights hesitate before coming on after key switch is turned on - have tried Neutral; foot on Brake F and Reverse
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi , I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, the description of "...dash lights hesitate before coming on..." is very significant as it indicates lower than +12V reaching the ignition system and/or a poor connection.

Let's try review the basics (one-at-a-time). Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) on suspects:

• re-inspect the battery;
  • test its ground lines;
  • in some instances, it may even be necessary to hard wire a secondary ground path from the battery's - terminal to the engine, to the frame and to the harness ground wires;
  • re-check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring;
  • of particular interest would be to the integrity of the fusible link and connection at both ends;
  • use a volt/multi-meter with a testlight attached in parallel to the probes to measure the voltage at the battery terminals;
  • BAT+ terminal to engine/frame ground;
  • always available +12V feeding the ignition switch;
  • and the other wires when ignition switch turned on;
  • consider having the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).