Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My Kawasaki Vulcan 800 sat for a year or so and I had the

Customer Question

My Kawasaki Vulcan 800 sat for a year or so and I had the carb rebuilt because it was blowing fuel out of what appears to be a breather into the airbox. It starts and then starts blowing fuel and then dies.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts same as usual, doesn't really seem to be guzzling fuel.
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan VN800A
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am fixing it myself. All I have done is took the carb out and sent it to a place on Ebay alled
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had the carb rebuilt by The Carb Shack on Ebay, but it is still doing the same thing.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, it would appear to still be a carb issue. The simplest try would be to bring this to the attention of "The Carb Shack on Ebay" for a redo of the "...carb rebuilt..."

On the other hand, if considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach, then proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done):

• • pull down the carb;
  • • dis-assemble/check/soak/clean the carb;
  • • of particular interest on the bowl, floats, float needle & needle valve seat6;
  • • click HERE for a video tutorial / general reference on motorcycle carb clean/rebuilt.

A friendly suggestion; take pictures, before & during dis-assembly......lots of pictures.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Louie. I just saw this. I didn't think anyone was going to respond and didn't check again until now.I did some more work on the bike and found out that the float valve wasn't seating right and fuel filled the crank case, it became over-filled and was blowing out of the vent in the head, not the carb. (it was hard to tell) So I took the carb out and dropped the bowl and it was filthy inside. I don't know why because I flushed the tank and put an in-line fuel filter in before I installed the rebuilt carb.The bike started up and idled but when I took it for a ride it ran horrible. The main issue is that it has a dead spot in the throttle at 20 mph. If I work the throttle and play with it I can get it up to speed on the highway and it runs better at higher speeds,but not great.What do you think the problem is?I think I got ripped off with the rebuild.John
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Sorry to hear on what you found out about the rebuilt.

Still, check the burn colors of the spark plugs as it would determine if the fuel mix is rich or lean. Equally, it would would also help us verify possibility of a vacuum or air leak.

Additionally, please ensure that the air box/filter is installed correctly; i.e. fitted with air entry only through the designated air box opening.