Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I am having trouble with a 2013 Kawasaki Mule 4010 with 39

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am having trouble with a 2013 Kawasaki Mule 4010 with 39 hours on it and it is not firing on #1 cyl (no spark from the coil) and has the DFI light on.
I've checked the coils and the #1 coil which is not firing ( wire colors are yellow and yellow/black) yellow wire is 12.41 volts not running/ 13.54 volts running. Yellow/black 3.1 volts not running/ 2.752 volts running. The resistance across the both terminals is 2.5 ohms and to the spark plug boot 20.45 K ohms. #2 coil yellow wire is 11.98 volts not running and 13 to 14 volts (pulsating I assume) running. Yellow/black wire is 11.98 volts not running and also 13 to 14 volts while running. The resistance across the both terminals is 2.3 ohms and to the spark plug boot 18.75 K ohms. What do I check next? Also how do I get to the blink codes to see what the computer is reading out?
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I swapped coils and #1 still does not fire, so the coils are good. How do I test to see if the ECU is bad?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Usually if you have no wiring issues running from the ecu to the coils then this can indicate the ecu itself is at fault internally needing replaced.I suspect this is the cause since one coil is working and one is not as long as there is no wiring faults.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete