Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

My M900 turns over fine. Has new fuel lines new fuel new

Customer Question

My M900 turns over fine. Has new fuel lines new fuel new battery. Will crank over and over but wont start Whats next
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: A week ago i fueled the tank. Drained all the existing fuel out..
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: R900 1998 i think
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive put new plugs in obviously changed the fuel and battery. Had all the fuel lines changed by a mechanic a few months back.. One thing i did do out of the ordinary before i bought a new battery was charge the old battery with jumper leads from the car. Could of this damaged anything ?? It wouldnt fire when i did that either. Seem to have a masive backfire after trying to start and the key is turned off then on ??
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, attempt to start again with the clutch lever pulled in and the side stand folded up.

Still, let's try and review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) on suspects:

• • carefully remove the spark plugs immediately after attempting a start;
  • • determine if these are wet with fuel;
  • • cautiously perform a spark test.

All others would require the use of a volt/multi-meter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Loui that made no difference. Any other ideas. The backfire from the exhaust is like a gun going off. This happens when the ignition is turned off and then on.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Is there spark at the plugs when attempting to start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No spark at plugs.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

This would explain the backfire; no spark when attempting to start BUT there is a single spark when turning on; i.e. ignition system is not functioning.

Let's try work on the easy to reach suspects first / back to the side stand switch; locate this switch and for test purposes, ground the gray wire to the engine. Attempt to start / check for spark.

If still not corrective, then a volt/multi-meter would be needed for all other tests.