Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

I have a 1988 Yamaha Venture xvz 300 with 55k on the

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1988 Yamaha Venture xvz 300 with 55k on the odometer. Was running fine until late yesterday. While on the highway cruising, the bike started jerk ink and lurching with the throttle on. I got it pulled off to side and put it into N, she idled fine and revved fine. Put it back in gear, and as soon as I accelerated, same thing again. Any ideas to what could be going on?
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She revs and idles great, just under acceleration she loses power and just lurches and feels like she wants to cut out.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Anyone there?
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question,

This sounds like a carb issue. Earlier Ventures had a problem with the slides twisting in the diaphragms and creating running problems similar to yours. I suggest pulling the tops off the carbs and inspecting the slides. There are slide lift holes in the bottom of the slide and those, when not in the correct position, create the problem. It is usually not all of them, so you should be able to compare them to each other to determine which is the one with the problem. The solution is to replace the slide. The diaphragm is not available separately.

Let me know what you find. If you aren't sure, take pictures of the bottom of the slides, with all of them in the same shot, and send them to me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do.....thanks again.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 months ago.

No problem. I hope it helps.