Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

You guys help me before on my 2001 gp1200r yamaha jet ski.

Customer Question

you guys help me before on my 2001 gp1200r yamaha jet ski. when engine is cold its hard to start. while choking it tried to start a number of times(engine turns over). then all of a sudden - nothing. just clicking from the electrical box. starter relay????? hasnt been used since july 4th. once warmed up it ran great. each day u would hit the start button and it would start right up.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 month ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

If your solenoid is just clicking, it could be a few things. First, I would suggest checking all of the battery cable connections, starting at the battery, then at the solenoid, then at the starter motor for both the positive and negative. If all of them were tight, then I suggest removing all the spark plugs, putting them back in the caps then grounding the spark plugs on the cylinder head away from the open spark plug holes. Attempt to crank the starter now and see what happens. If it still doesn't want to crank, or sounds exceptionally slow, check the battery voltage. Do a static test of voltage on the battery and then a dynamic test where you leave the volt meter connected to the battery and crank the engine. This is called a voltage drop test. Observe the voltage while the engine is cranking. This tells you the condition of the battery. If the voltage is ok, like 12.5 volts or more statically, but drops severely when cranking, your battery needs to be replaced.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was cranking over just fine. I just connected the terminals to the battery. They were good and tight. Since it has a hard time starting when cold I had a battery charger hooked up to the battery. the switch was on engine start. Since I just did a overhaul replacement of the idle gear, I'm pretty sure all connections are good and tight. But when I get back up to Maine where are the jet ski is I'll double-check everything. But it's just weird that it was running fine and then it sat for awhile and then I come across this problem. So I called a mechanic that just worked on my boat and he said it could be the starter relay. You don't think so
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Please don't assume that is the extent of my diagnositics. I still need to know the results so we can move forward from here.

Now that you mention it, what exactly did you rebuild and has it run since the rebuild? It sounds like I need a lot more information relative to the recent rebuild, it could hold a clue to resolving this issue. Please be as detailed as possible, and include any other pertinent information as well.

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 month ago.

I have thought about this some more, and have another question. Did the engine stop turning over, then you put the battery charger with the engine start mode on the battery? Also, is the battery itself any good? Here is where I am going with this. If the battery is in good condition and the cables are tight, we have a mechanical problem with either the starter system or the the engine. A cold engine has less compression than a hot engine so if a good battery isn't spinning the engine over by itself, there is a mechanical issue. Unless you have a high compression head on it...... I still need to know if it will spin over with the spark plugs out, and what the voltage drop test results are.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I pulled the engine and replace the idle gear. Regarding the battery the engine was turning over fine but then knowing that the cold engine was hard to start I put the battery charger on. Then it acted the same as the engine was just cranking over but not starting. And then everything just went dead. I would push the start button and probably the starting relay would just click and nothing else. It is a brand new battery. Can't remember what the impression was but it was within range.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Did the ski sit unused for an extended period of time waiting for the starter idler to be replaced? It sounds like you had a reason to believe the engine was cranking over slowly, so you added the booster. If it didn't change the cranking speed with the booster, it sounds like there are other mechanical issues with the engine or pump.

What impression are you talking about?

Are you able to do a voltage drop test on it?

I am still interested in the answers to the questions I posed in my first response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Compression. Not impression. The jetski is in Maine right now and i'm in mass. Going up this weekend
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 month ago.

Roger that.

I am interested in the current compression too.