Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

2000 yamaha g16 gas cart

Customer Question

2000 yamaha g16 gas cart
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi Larry, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially , a little more background info please:

• • has it been in storage for a length of time;
  • • is this a sudden recent issue;
  • • or slowly developing while in use;
  • • any recent work, repairs or mods done other than the fuel filter/pump replacement.

Is the fuel fresh?

Still, proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) on suspects:

• • determine strong suction at the carb mouth (least likely);
  • • verify correct fitting of air filter assy and ensure no air leak (likely);
  • • check the fuel pump and test its output pressure (most likely).
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, it had no been stored for a long period of time. This problem came on suddenly. I use non ethenol gas which is fresh
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also disconnected the fuel line leading into the carb, placed that line in a bottle, and it was pumping fuel into the bottle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

I understand Larry and it would then point back to fuel delivery/starvation issue; still a carb problem.

Determine if bowl of the carb is full of fuel by loosening the drain plug (screw) and collecting the fuel through the drain hose.

In most instances, the carb would have to be pulled down (again), dis-assembled and all metal parts soaked in carb cleaner.

The objective is to ensure that all holes, ports, passages are clean and clear of varnish like residue that may be coating the walls.

In some others, it may even be necessary to use special brushes for the cleaning.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
While working on this problem, I have not put the air filter assembly back on when trying to get it to run at speed. Could that inhibit it from running,i.e. to much air getting in?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

This is very significant Larry; no air filter and there would be a massive air leak / very lean condition. The carb needs the partial vacuum created by the restriction / air box/filter combo.

Please re-install and ensure that all air entry to the carb is through the designated opening of the air box.