Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 2002 Kawasaki 650 prairie with electronic brake

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Kawasaki 650 prairie with electronic brake control. after riding for about 2 miles the belt cover becomes so hot you can touch it and after this happens several times it will schred the belt. on inspection the clutch seems to be operating normal. any ideas.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: no shifting problems and the belt does not feel like any slippage no excessive rpm that I can tell. could have something to do with the ebc? I assume that is the motor on the clutch cover.
JA: Are you fixing your 650 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes im working on it my self. a good cleaning of the clutch hardware and a new belt. other than belts no new parts not sure whats going on don't know what to replace.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** need a few things before we move forward, I need the VIN # (17 digits) and the hours and or miles on this unit.

Are you replacing the belt with OE or is it an aftermarket ?

Has anything ever been done to the clutches ?

It appears that you have experience replacing belts, did you verify the belt deflection after replacing the belts to insure that it is within spec ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
here is the hrs 478 and the mileage is 4027 . each time it has schreded the belt it has been replaced with oem. theres nothing been done to the clutch that im aware of. I have not checked belt deflection all seems ok no worn or loose parts the ebc cycles with the ing. switch on and off. it appears to be ok. I could not find the vin with out pealing the plastic off. I got the year model off the emissions sticker under the seat. with the belt off the engine running the clutch seems to cycle ok under excelleration. the local dealer wanted to replace everything even the cover.i am an ASE automotive master tech. so I like to find the actual problem and not throw parts at it. what about the rear pully at the trans ?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

OK well depending on what we find I will need the HIN # at some point, this unit had many issues and there was many changes mid year,

So belts get hot for a couple of different reasons, first off you need to insure that you have GOOD air flow into and out of the CVT area, first easiest thing to do is remove the snorkel on the top of the CVT cover and start the engine, in neutral rev it up with your hand over the opening, it should basically blow off your hand, if that seems to be an issue then check the inlet snorkel and make sure that its free flowing and no obstructions or the snorkel is not collapsed.

Next you need to check the belt deflection with a good belt, I suggest that you use an OE belt on this model, aftermarket belts seem to have tolerances that are all over the place, if you don't have a manual I can help you with that procedure.

Next either get all wheels off the ground, (or you can ride the unit, be careful as my next suggestion is to run the unit with the belt cover off)

Remove the belt cover, (DO NOT TURN THE KEY ON WITH THE ENGINE BRAKE PLUGGED IN) then make a bridge wire for the "Belt Detection Switch" (2 wire plug) this will by pass the swtich and allow the unit not to go into belt failure mode.

Next what the clutches, see if they are moving freely through the range from basically idle to wide open throttle, again if you are going to ride the unit and check this, just be careful as the clutches will be exposed to your leg.

I have to step out tonight, so I will likely get back to you tomorrow.

Let me know what you find

Thanks