Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

2015 bmw s1000r motorcycle-tire pressure and break bleeding

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the cold pressure is 42psi front and back for each tire. I was instructed by the dealer to fill front tire to 36psi and back to 42psi. front tire experienced cupping is reason I'm asking.
for the break bleeding part, there is two separate resevors looks like the one on the handles bars is for both breaks but not sure. what dot fluid is used and what procedure is best to bleed. In addition I wanted to vet the information concerning cleaning the caliper pistons. I received information that you can actuate them while off to extend the pistons then clean with soapy water solution.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

you should use a minimum of Dot 4 but if you ride the bike hard then I'd recommend a switch to dot 5.1 which has a higher boiling point

to bleed the brakes I favour having a clear hose from the caliper bleed nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pulls the lever a few times then holds it down then you crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.

I wouldn't worry about getting the brake pistons really clean, as long as there's not an excess of pad dust then the rest can be blown off with a compressed air line

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you