Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 1966 triumph 500 running points. The bike was

Customer Question

I have a 1966 triumph 500 running points. The bike was running fine when it suddenly start losing power and died. It will catch and rev but only for a second if I leave it a bit. Same if I really flood the carb. Fuel starvation? Jets are all ok as is float, needle etc. That points me to ignition. The bike is designed to start without a battery but has one in OK condition. Plugs are clean and gapped and as I said it revs nicely for the second it catches before dying. Any ideas?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No to gas hog and it starts first kick if I leave it and then tickle the carb as I would for a cold start
JA: What is the model of your '66 motorcycle?
Customer: 5ta speed twin
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Stripped the carb (twice) and manually traced ignition wires just to see if they've vibrated off, new plugs.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and if using points, then proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) on suspects:

• stator (least likely);
  • the contact set itself (likely);
  • condenser (most likely).