Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I had the fuel pump relay quit on my 99 tl1000r. After I got

Customer Question

I had the fuel pump relay quit on my 99 tl1000r. After I got the relay playing again, the battery is dead, tried to jump it with a car that was turned off at the time and the battery boiled. and only the backlighting on the tach and speedometer will light up
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: I have changed the battery before. didn't test with voltmeter as I was stuck on the side of the road. Just know that it wouldn't provide enough juice to start before the fuel relay quit
JA: What is the model of your '99 motorcycle?
Customer: 99 tl1000r suzuki
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: almost always fix it myself, lol. I got the relay to play again by cleaning terminals, but I don't trust it, so I plan to order 2 more, one to install and one to keep in the bike for reserve. when I went to jump the bike after having it powered up while trying to reset the relay, it didn't have enough juice to start. it was jumped with a car that was turned off, so it shouldn't have cooked the battery. it also blew the starting fuse upon initial connection of the jumper cables. fuse has already been changed out as well
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: fuel pump is external, not the piece of garbage that's inside the tank
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you havent checked for any damaged or corroded wiring or connections on this model here I would see if any problems are found.If any issues are found with the wiring or connections this will need resolved to correct this issue here.If this is or has been checked and found to be o.k. already let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete