RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

Cant identify my RM250 .. no VIN .. number on neck is not

Customer Question

Cant identify my RM250 .. no VIN .. number on neck is not enough digits ... metal tag on frame is damaged ..can you help?? I've been at this for a month now
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I can help you determine what year your bike is. I will need 2 things. First, I will need the frame # and 2nd please send a picture of the bike. The picture will get me with in a couple of years and from there I can take your frame number and find it on Suzuki's reference model page for dealers.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
FRAME: JF1E074583564
ENGINE: JF15-116490
CDI: CU743 | 8K24I've included pics of these 3 and of the bike. I was told the head/cylinder were different on the 99' from 2000' so I've included ta pic of the barrel, I can not pull the power valve as the cylinder is sold. I do have the head/cap.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

OK, I only saw 2 pics though, one of the frame # and one of the engine #. No pictures of the whole bike. That would be very beneficial. BTW, what country are you in?

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hmm..there are 5 attached .. try these 2
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

I got one showing the power valve and one side shot of the frame. Perhaps this site only allows you to upload 2 pics at a time. I am looking it up for you now.

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

OK, the pictures confirm it is a 1999 RM250.

Hope that helps!

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you be more specific. ..I had identified it as a 99 as well from the same side pic ... I was looking for something a little more concrete.. the engine number or frame number. ..or power valve type ... the JF on the engine and frame do not match anything I can find on Google.... and the frame has no Vin (but 99's did).. this would imply that this was a 'dealer' display.. And the JF implies that this could be from out of country... These facts are not critical to me, but it would be nice to know to verify the model since I am selling these as replacement OEM parts. I'll even take a little speculation from you if you can give me something else besides the side view... I had summized that on my own. Thank you in advance, I appreciate anything you can offer. I realize it's not easy and there's not always answers... I just want to be a good seller to my customers... Thanks again for your help
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
try this ... https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6jHyzMbZAABemp6MHAzVmltY2c
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

What I meant was the picture was the final confirmation. There were about 4 other contributing factors but the picture clenched it. Why the resistance to believing it is a 99? As far as the cylinder, I did a cross reference on the 99 cylinder and it has been superseded and is now also used on the 2000, I think it is now the same from 96 to 2000.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's not a resistance, I simply had to make the best assessment that I could to begin selling it, but I suspended selling the parts until I can make it better confirmation... I spent a gross amount of time scouring Google and just could not come up with anything definitive. That's why I was looking for something a little more concrete... I'll put it back up as a 99... But I guess I just wanted some sort of answer to the mystery of why this bike had no VIN number and how to identify it if I ran across it again
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

I checked Suzuki's dealer site. Something the general public doesn't have access to. It is a 99. It looks like the vin may not be the original...........