Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Its a 194 Honda Shadow VT1100C it was running all good, the

Customer Question

Its a 194 Honda Shadow VT1100C it was running all good, the one day when I was up to gead back home it fired up hard, and when I accelerated it stumbled like I'm running out of gas...and came up again...syumbled again and so on
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: I cleaned the carbs (not really dirty) tried again...the same.
JA: What year is your Shadow?
Customer: cleaned carbs again...still the same
JA: Are you fixing your Shadow yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it's a 94. I'm trying it myself (I'm a certified car mechanic and my roommate is a certified harley tch) we replaced the sparks after that but no change. replaced the fuel pump, still the same. cleaned all fuel lines and the tank etc, still the same.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: we ohmed the coils, all good, checked the pulse generator, all good so now we are a little lost
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When the bike is starting cold it's the worse, when the bike is hot the problem still excists but not that bad anymopre. I've realized also a big loss of power, when I drive the bike it feels like I'm pulling an anchor or a plow behind it......
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Compression is good: first cyl 9.5 bar second 10 bar
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done and even if just to eliminate it as a suspect) would be to check the charging voltage:

• • when starting ~ 11.0V ;
  • • during idling 12.7V;
  • • when attempting to rev not to exceed 14.5V.

And please check the spark plug burn color.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just checked, Voltage when ign on: 11.89V,
when starting: 11,4V
when running: 14,3V
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

For test purposes, try the Shadow with the regulator temporarily disconnected (but ensure battery is fully charged first).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Louie.
For some reason I checked the Voltage the next day again and found the charging System just quit working after I gave you the voltages you asked for. I checked -like written in my Clymer book- the resistance off the regulator and off the stator. Both were bad (stator grounded and regulator diodes bad)
So I ordered both new and just replaced them....but still the same running problems. The voltages are all good now again.The bike was hard to start and when I took it for a testride down the road (just 5 houses) it did that spottering right the way again. When I pulled in to my driveway my Harley buddy just came by and said it sounds like one cylinder is not firing right.
When I touched the rear cyl it was pretty hot, the front cyl more pretty cold...you definitely could feel a big differance.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

...and interesting turn of events on the charging system.

Still, let's try and review the basics:

• IGN+12V on the black/white wires to the ignition coils;
  • when attempting to start, low pulsating voltages from the two (2) ignition pulser (pickup coils);
  • resulting to high pulsating voltage to the ignition coils from the ignition control module through its blue/yellow and yellow/blue wires.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
just as you discribed
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Please perform a spark test on the plugs. Click HERE.

With the plugs out,m check and post back their burn colors. Post a picture if able as shown HERE.