Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

My 2012 roadkind starts perfectly on cold starts. When it

Customer Question

Hi... My 2012 roadkind starts perfectly on cold starts. When it gets warm it intermitatly feels like its running with bad gas. It has a hard time starting when warm. Sits and cranks and cranks. I can pull the fuel line from the gas tank and it starts and runs until it quickly runs out of gas. I plug the full line back in the tank and it will start but have to rev a little bit to let it smooth back out. I thought it was bad gas but i have had about 7 full tanks ran through it.
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: i smell it after it cranks for awhile like its flooded
JA: What is the model of your '12 motorcycle?
Customer: road king
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just felt it was strange about disconnecting the fuel line. my first step was going to be to change the filter.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i had the 10k service done about 100 miles before this started
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

it could be a few things.

- it may be the engine temp sensor.

- it could be the charging system and/or battery.

the first thing you should do is check for diagnostic codes.

1. With the ignition switch in the off position, press and hold the trip meter button.
  2. While still holding the button, turn your ignition switch to the on position.
  3. Release the button. Your speedo indicators should illuminate and the needle should do a full sweep.
  4. “diag” will appear on the odometer screen. Press the trip button once.
  5. “PSSPt” is now displayed. Each of the letters represents a different area.
    • P = ECM / ICM (Engine / Ignition Control Module)

• S = TSM / TSSM (Turn Signal / Turn Signal Security Module)

• SP = Speedometer

• t = Tachometer

6. You can highlight each area by pressing the button. Once the area you wish to select is highlighted, press and hold the button for 5 seconds.
  7. If there are any codes, you will be able to go through them one at a time by pressing the button. Once you have them recorded, they can be cleared by holding the button for more than 5 seconds. Once “clear” is on the screen, press the button once more.
  8. To exit the Diagnostic Mode, turn the ignition switch off.
  9. let me know what you find.
  10. Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There were several codes showing on the bike. from ECI, Misfiring, Charging System, Low Battery, Engine Temp Sensor, etc. I bought a new battery and cleared the codes and rode to get the code to reappear. It was the Engine Temp Sensor sending (failed) excessive fuel into the system flooding it out. Shop replaced the sensor and runs like a champ again.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.

Glad I could help.

on August 18 I indicated your problem was probably the engine temp sensor and or a voltage problem and I was right.

please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve