Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a 2009 Harley Ultra Classic. I have a brake light

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Harley Ultra Classic. I have a brake light issue. The brake light stays on all the time. I ohm ed both brake light switches out. They are both good. I pulled the brake light fuse they still stay on. I pulled the brake light relay they still stay on
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

- does the brake light relay change states when you apply either brake? (do you hear it CLICK)

- did you perform any maintenance or add any accessories right before this happened?

- anything involving the right hand controls?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No added acc . Just stock ultra classic . I do not hear the relay click. But I swapped out the relay on there with the other one on the fuse box. Still does the same thing.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

more often than not, this is caused by a broken actuator pin on the front brake light switch.

this causes the front brake light switch to be actuated at all times, keeping the brake light on.

- if this is not the case, you will need to find out WHY the relay is actuated. it has to be a short circuit on the Red/Yellow wires going to the relay coil.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess my question would be. If I have the fuse and relay out why would the brake lights still be on. Where could I find a wiring diagram that would show me the brake circuit.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

- it can't be on unless someone did something to the wiring on the bike to short the brake light wiring to a live circuit.

you can find wiring diagrams in the HD factory manual.

I recommend anyone working on their own bike have all the factory manuals: the Service Manual, the parts catalog and the electrical diagnostic manual.

you can order them from your local dealership and some dealerships will sell them over the internet. Ronnies HD and Latus HD are two I have used.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve