Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

I have a 1999 Harley Davidson Road Classic that will not

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Harley Davidson Road King Classic that will not start. I charged the battery then attached a battery tender to the battery. I checked the voltage with ignition off, 13.12, ignition on, 6.45 and with started button depressed, 6.01. I replaced the spark plug and tested it with an inline spark tester and the light bulb did not turn on nor flash, nothing.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I checked the battery with a Digitial Multimeter GE2524 and then connected a load tester which showed the battery as being good (between 10 and 13)
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi George and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, it would appear to still be a battery issue as the battrery is not expected to go below 10~11 Volts.

Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) would be to re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration.

Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I will remove the battery and check, clean battery cables, terminals,and etc.etc. I will then charge the battery but I need to go to bed so I will respond later on, much later.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Yes please George; when able.

And strongly consider LOAD TEST for the battery. It would be the best test and confirm if the battery is still good or would need replacement.