Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 02 R6 that I just replace the ignition coils on my

Customer Question

I have a 02 R6 that I just replace the ignition coils on my question is is there a corresponding cylinder for each coil in particular and if so how do you determine which one is which my R6 has the Mitsubishi coils once the bike starts to warm up and in low RPM range it kind of feels and sounds like a vtwin or something so I was assuming that maybe I have the coils corresponding to the wrong cylinders. I replace the spark plugs and they came pre gapped so I know the plugs are good, it seems like the temperature is running up a bit on the bike also now not to the point where it's overheating just to the point where performance issues are starting to occur
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh so now when I decelerate I'm hearing my exhaust pipe pop like unburnt fuel popping this all started to occur once I changed out the ignition coils
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the actual ignition coils are interchangeable. It would just be the wires from the CDI that must be specifically connected to the coil for a particular cylinder and its running mate.

Please post back with clear pictures of these ignition coils with the wires connected.