Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Can you tell me the location and color of the wires in the

Customer Question

Can you tell me the location and color of the wires in the 10 and 8 pin connectors for the junction box on a 94 kawasaki vulcan 1500 A1?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Hi Dane and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with me and post back with what are the available wire colors on the bike that go to these 2 connectors.

In turn, I would check the available wiring diagrams at my end and/or pictures of actual connectors to see which would match (depending on the version).

Still, please click HERE for 1 version.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
These are my wire colors
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Thanks Dane and unfortunately, no direct match to any of the available pinout diagrams/pictures.

Still, I am back tracing the wiring.

Please post back with the complete wiring diagram and if available, the page containing the 'Junction Box Internal Circuit'.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have the Clymer book in front of me right now. But the complete wiring diagram in in the back under 94 kawasaki vulcan vn 1500 A1 and the junction box diagram is on page 270ish if that helps
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

If it's alright with you Dane, when able.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/motoforge/2009-05-27_013436_vn1500junctionbox.jpgThe top one is my junction box
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm trying to find a full diagram of the wiring
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Actually, working on an available pinout diagram BUT would want to confirm the wire colors by manually tracing each wire from pin to end.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Page 15-3 of the Clymer book gives the full diagram. Wish I could copy and send from my phone but cant. Sorry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Try this. Hope it helps
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Let me send you what I am working on and we can run parallel tracing/confirmation.

Please click HERE.

...and it matches your junction box.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's it I think
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you put the wire colors next to the numbers to make it clear?
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Bear with me further.

Using this as template, then reference the internal circuit of the junction box + clear wiring diagram, then...

Confirming would be a matter of getting the function of a pin...

• IF say pin 5 = output of relay # 23 [fan relay per internal circuit] therefore must go to cooling fan motor since using black/blue wire [per clear wiring diagram], THEN pin 5 = black/blue wire;
  • IF say pin 4 = trigger of relay #23 [fan relay per internal circuit] therefore must go to radiator thermo switch since using black/yellow wire [per clear wiring diagram], THEN pin 4 = black/yellow wire;
  • and so on.

Per your last post, that's what I am hoping to populate. Click HERE.

Hence the need for a clear wiring diagram based on your initial attachment.

I believe I have that Service Manual for the 87-99 of your last screenshot.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Louie, you'd be a life saver and my go to guy for now on if you get this.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Let me run this confirmation using the diagram that I have.

Post back with your diagram when able please. It would validate my findings.

The last time I did this was configuring two (2) single cylinder CDIs to run an NSR-250. Pretty much the same except the NSR had a PGMi to factor in.

...and then transplanting a lot of electrical parts on other bikes/models as replacement are not readily available in my location.

And appreciate your kind understanding (...read patience) as it takes time to trace and confirm.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I won't have my book back till tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

When able; I'm using my copy of the 87-99 SM as basis to get things going.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

For some reason, p. 433 is missing.

And my update, click HERE. Please note, partially completed still subject to verification.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here you go
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Thanks; would post again soon as verified.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Looking at the numbers on the connectors, is that viewing it from the front or back of the connector?
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

That would be based on the connector pin assignment of the junction box itself.

"...http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/motoforge/2009-05-27_013436_vn1500junctionbox.jpg...The top one is my junction box..."

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Any luck yet?
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Just 1 wire color that's confusing. While I have figured out the two (2) white/blue wires (and all others), the 2 black/white wires (based on the wiring shown HERE) are causing a mixup.

...an update/status report.

Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Please click HERE.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I hooked everything up per your last post and now I have constant lights, and running lights
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

For test purposes, temporarily disconnect pins 7, 8 & 17.

Confirm internally the presence and status of the headlight relay and the two (2) diodes connected to it using the Ω function of a multi-meter.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have anything in pin 7 per your last post. And nothing on 7 or 17
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Sorry; yes nothing on the 7.

Still, please re-confirm; 17 would have the red/blue wire.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nothing again on 17
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Sorry, but what does "...Nothing again on 17 ..." mean?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's not reading anything. Stays at 1
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Bear with me Dane with the specifics; "...It's not reading anything. Stays at 1..."

Does it read 1Ω? ...or does 1 mean no continuity on your meter?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry, yes it reads 1ohm
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Or the ohms sign. I don't have it on my phone
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

1Ω is a significant reading as it indicate close to full continuity to something.

Let's try this; short the black and red probes together. What is the reading/display?

And what model is your meter please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It reading 0 when shorted out
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Please reference the earlier posted wire colors @ "...http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/motoforge/2009-05-27_013436_vn1500junctionbox.jpg...The top one is my junction box..."

Note that pin 17 is connected to pins 6 & 7.

With the meter set to Ω, black probe to pin 17:

• what is the meter reading with the red probe to pin 6?
  • how about when red probe is to pin 7?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
73 on pin 6. 0.00 on pin 7.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

And would the earlier description of "...constant lights, and running lights..." only be with the engine running? ...or even with engine not running but ignition switched On?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
With key off engine not running. Also oil light stays on
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Please re-wire as provided in the last pinout wiring.

Then disconnect some of the wires 1 at a time...disconnect the white wire.

Check for any reaction(s):

• constant lights, and running lights now Off;
  • oil light stays on will now go off. Will come back on if ignition is switched On.

Plug back in this white wire and then disconnect the white/blue and observe the same.

Then the other white /blue wire.

Then the brown/white wire.

...then the yellow wire

...and finally the red/blue wire.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I disconnected the white wire , the oil light, head light and running lights all turned off. I turned the key on they all came on
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

I understand.......and back to the drawing board.

Still, other than the white wire (please disconnect temporarily) do all other wiring/pinout work as expected?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but still hasn't fired up and ran yet.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Have you re-check the two (2) black/white wires?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It just makes the fuel pump click
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

(A possibility) Have you tried swapping the the pin connections of the black/white wires?

And is there IGN+12 at the black/red wires of the ignition coils?

Would the starter motor spin if attempted to START?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I swapped the two black/white wires. The motor turns over now, but no fire. Checking for spark right now
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No spark
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Is there IGN+12 at the black/red wires of the ignition coils?

Please attempt a start with the clutch lever pulled in and side stand folded up.

Bear with me again; would be mobile briefly but expect to be back in an hour or so.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if I ground to the frame. If I ground to the black wire with it on the coil, no. But also my neutral light isn't coming on and I know it's in neutral.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

The black wire of the ignition coil is not to be grounded; it is an output of the igniter (together with the black green wire) that drives in the ignition coil to produce spark.

With or without the junction box (wired in), the neutral light with a good bulb and IGN+12 on its brown wire should work by itself together with the neutral sensor/switch.

Please check the black/light green wire from the neutral sensor/switch that is connected to a light green wire that turns on/off the neutral indicator. Grounding either wire should make the neutral light lit up.

Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Hi again Dane,

Do you still need help with the "10 and 8 pin connectors" ?

Hopefully, the above service information may serve your purpose and would appreciate a Positive Rating and/or an Accept (if haven't done so).

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I still need your help. I still have no spark. I've checked the neutral safety, side stand safety, and starter lock out. They are all working fine now but still no spark.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

For a no-spark issue with a Kawasaki VN1500-A1, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check for IGN+12V on the black/red wires of the ignition coils;
  • • as well as the red wire to the IC igniter;
  • • check the continuity of the pickup coil's black & black/red wires;
  • • and the black & black/yellow wires;
  • • measure low pulsating output voltage between the pickup coil's black & black/red wires when attempting to start;
  • • likewise between the black & black/yellow wires;
  • • verify IC igniter's black/yellow wire is tied to a good ground.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok...last night I got to work on the bike. I've got Ign+12 to my coils also to the I.C. ignitor. I checked the the grounds and they are good. I'm gonna head back out here in a bit to check the output on the pick up coils and their pulse. Also gonna check the resistors on the spark plug wires.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Appreciate the update now and again when able.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, everything checked out on the pickup coils. Went ahead on testing the ignition coils. Had readings within specs for primary windings, but nothing on secondary windings. So pulled wires off to make sure. Checked right at the pins....nothing. Wires are fine but resistors couldn't get readings either
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

The ignition coil's secondary winding would read very high Ω.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah, book shows at least 18,000. But they aren't reading anything. So ordering now and with update when recieved. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Not that often that both coils would go bad at the same time.

Still, yes please; an update when able.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did you ever find out where the white wire that I disconnected in the junction box went?
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Yes; well 2-3 likely pins as the white is an always available +12. Was hoping to have a running engine to test 'theories'