EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience

I have an ssr 125 pit bike. It smokes bad. We had it one

Customer Question

I have an ssr 125 pit bike. It smokes bad. We had it one day, my son laid it on its side, then engine ran for about 45 seconds and then died. he went into the house to cry, came back out to ride. we checked the oil level and it was way down. I put in about 1/2 qt, it now registered 3/4 on the dip stick. when we started it, it smoked bad. we rode it about 20 minutes and it only got worse. thoughts?
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: we just got it, the previous owner said this spring.
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: its a 2013 SSR 125 pit bike
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it didn't idle well when it was cold, so we adjusted the valves last night thinking it couldn't hurt. the valve adjustment took care of the cold idle problem, but had no affect on the smoke. if we knew what was wrong, I would fix it provided I could buy the parts needed.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope, that's about it. the oil I had was for my Harley 10w40 smi synt.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was wondering about how much longer it will be. Its been nearly two hours.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 months ago.

Hi. How long have you ridden the bike since this happened? Sometimes it takes a long while for all the oil ot burn out. If you added 1/2 quart then that much oil had to go into the exhaust through the valves.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we have road it about an hour
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i pulled the exhaust off and the engine still smokes with the exhaust off. What is the next step?

SOrry for the delay in response. I had to go out of town to TN. Is it possible the engine oil was down before you got it and it was running low on oil? You will want to make sure the crankcase vent is not plugged up for some reason causing you to suck oil. Also, probably not related to tipping over, if there is a problem with the piston or piston rings worn. You can do a compression check on the engine to check that. I would suspect you should replace the piston and rings. Might not have been smoking from the start if the oil was low to being with.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The bike didn't smoke at all until it tipped and oil was added. I think you are on to something with the vent. Where is it located? I was going to do a piston and rings, but this came on so fast, I do not think they are the cause.