Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Lights come on, wont start though, it at least turned over

Customer Question

lights come on, wont start though, it at least turned over before I cleaned the carburator
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: headlights, fog lights, blinkers
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2004 Kawasaki ninja 500r
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, ive tried bypassing kill switch, bypassing ignition switch, new fuses all around, new spark plugs, new sparkplug boots, cleaning wiring connections
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I just put a new motor in, it turned over and cranked before I took the carb out to address a fuel delivery issue
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
battery is fully charged sitting on a trickle charger
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ive taken the bike completely apart down to the bare frame and done some painting so, im stuck at this point, I have a new starter solenoid in the mail to try when it gets here
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
kickstand safety switch has been bypassed
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, let's do / review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • locate the starter relay:
  • • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Expect a big spark. If it does not crank, then possibly a cable and/or terminal issue;
  • - if it does crank, then ensure that its black/white wire has a good ground connection;
  • - and that its yellow/red wire gets an +12V when pressing on the starter button;
  • - if there is good ground and IGN+12, then there should be a click from the relay;
  • -no click, ground or +12 missing;
  • - there is a click but starter motor would not spin, then relay would be suspect;
  • - no +12, then check the wiring, connectors and switches;
  • - no good ground connection on the green/red wire, consider test hardwiring a second ground line.