TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

1991 gl 1500, did not start. getting fuel out of filter,

Customer Question

1991 gl 1500, did not start. getting fuel out of filter, removed air cleaner poured fuel in started right up. however as soon as fuel that was poured in burns, engine stalls again
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: as I said it is a gl 1500
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: what is probable cause of not getting fuel to cylinders
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just if this is a common problem
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 3 months ago.

Yes this is a common problem most likely caused by old fuel varnish clogging the jets in the carburetor. The fix is to overhaul the carburetors. This involves removing the carbs, disassembly, soaking all metal components in a commercial grade of carburetor cleaner, rinse, blow dry, probe all jet orifices with the correct size wire drill, reassembly with new gaskets & float valves, adjusting throttle plate synchronization and idle mixture.

Expert:  TIMOTO replied 3 months ago.

Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can always add a reply if you need more help with this problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I told you when I called that the run fine when I put gas into the carbs. If every thing was varnished it would not run or accelerate which it did both.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 3 months ago.

When you say "removed air cleaner poured fuel in started right up" do you mean you poured fuel into the throttle bore of the carburetors or did you attach a remote fuel supply to the fuel input fitting of the carbs?