Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Yamaha 650 vstar '08 - 7k miles - shifting into all gears

Customer Question

yamaha 650 vstar '08 - 7k miles - shifting into all gears was fine - got the bike 1 year ago - but shifting into neutral became harder & harder - yesterday wasn't able to shift to neutral.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: as old as the bike 7k miles - no leaks
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: very apt mechanically - need to know where to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This may be an issue internally in the gear box itself with it needing removed and inspected and repaired or replaced.I would have the shift linkage checked for any issues and if any are found repaired.If this is or was already checked and found o.k. this can be a fault with the gear box internally needing repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete