Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I'm working on a 2006 honda rancher AT. Model TRX400FA.

Customer Question

I'm working on a 2006 honda rancher AT. Model TRX400FA. Serial 1HFTE290264202584.The problem,
1. On the display the letters "ESP" and "- -" are blinking 12 times
2. The ESP/Auto switch isn't working.
3. The electric shift buttons don't work.
4. The auto transmission works but it's in low gear.
5. Stutters badly in reverse.
6. When trying to perform reset, the control motor makes no noise.
7. When putting into diagnostic mode the "N" flashes 5 times then abruptly switches over to the ESP code 12.What I've done.1. Replaced angle sensor and clocked it.
2. Replaced the control motor.
3. Switched out the ECM with a known good ECM.
4. Tested the 3 ground wires to the ECM and got less than 0.5 on all 3.
5. Tested the 12v supply wire to the ECM and got 0.1 with the ESP/Auto switch and the carb heater switch hooked up.
6. Tested the 12v supply wire to the ECM and got 12.56v with the ESP/Auto switch unplugged.
7. Cleared the codes in diagnostic mode, but the come right back.
8. Checked all fuses.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect all wiring on this model here to see if you locate any wiring that may be damaged or corroded needing repaired or replaced.I have seen wiring issues in the past before cause this type of fault here needing repaired or replaced for this issue.If this is or has been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All wiring has been checked as well as tested for shorts all connectors are good all grounds that I could find are grounded and power supply is within spec as far as I can tell. Do you know what the code 12 means on that model?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately I do not have the info on the code for this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete