Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

I have a 1996 shadow 1100, basic model. The bike has been

Customer Question

I have a 1996 shadow 1100, basic model. The bike has been sitting for a number of years and needs a carb kit and cleaning. I can't remove the choke cables from the carbs. I unscrew the lock nut and can see the spring. The rest of the assembly won't come out of the carb. Is there a method to release it? Or is it just glued in place by old, dried up gas. If so, what should I do?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

There are a couple of solutions to the problem. First, the problem is the plunger for the enrichener mechanism is stuck in the carb body. If the ultimate goal is to get the carbs cleaned, you can kill two birds with one stone. Get yourself a bottle of Yamaha Carb Cleaner/dip. Available from a Yamaha dealer. It is a quart bottle and typically runs between $12~$15.

Mix it with 2 quarts of water. Find a metal container just large enough to fit the carb in. Now, place the carb in the container, pour the solution in the container and place it on a hot plate. Watch the hot plate and slowly turn the temp up so the solution is hot but NOT boiling. Ideally somewhere around 150 degrees. Soak it for about an hour. Two things are going to happen, the cleaner will work to break the corrosion and the heat will expand the aluminum more than the brass. Remove the carb and pull on the cable to free the plunger. Rinse the carb off with clear water and blow out all internal passages with compressed air.

The other alternative would be to use PB Blaster penetrating oil and keep spraying it on top of the plunger. Give it several days to soak all the way through then start checking the plunger daily to see when it frees up. Don't pull on the cable too hard because you can spread the end of the plunger that retains the cable and if it spreads, the cable is going to come out then you have bigger problems.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was afraid that was the case. I guess I'll have to pull the choke cable off from other end. I sure hope I don't pull the cable off with the plunger still in place.I appreciate your quick response.Thanks, *****
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 months ago.

You are most welcome.

Just be judicious in your use of force. Start out gently and progress to a mild tug, pulling on the cable with 2 fingers.. I would suggest the heat and carb clean first because it is attacking the problem on the 2 fronts. The corrosion and expanding the aluminum to help it break loose. If you would rather give it a shot without taking the choke cable off the bike, use the PB Blaster. Just be patient with that. It could take up to a weak to fully penetrate.