Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

My 2003 Harley fatboy with 1340cc evo has a knocking noise

Customer Question

my 2003 Harley fatboy with 1340cc evo has a knocking noise inside primary cover when in gear and a scraping noise when in neutral or pulling in the clutch handle. I am mechanically inclined and usually work on boats/vehicles so this is my first big bike and all new to me. I had adjusted the clutch cable for a little more play 4 days ago and started to hear a slight growling sound when in gear and engine was hot. Then a day later I went for a ride and about a mile down the road, It started knocking inside the primary cover. I was told to pull the derby cover and check the oil level. After buying the oil and pulling the cover i noticed it was a dry clutch and no oil needed. Last night i loosened the clutch cable and then the jam nut on the clutch and turned the center bolt few turns to the right then back 1/2 turn, set the clutch cable with a little give at the handle and still hear the noise. I messed with this and i got it where it goes into all the gears and will shift good but i still hear the scrapping sound when the clutch handle is pulled and will go away if i let the clutch handle out 1/4 way. sorry this is long but i stuck at this point on this
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

a 2003 Harley does not have a dry clutch.

what makes you think you have a dry clutch?

did you remove the primary cover?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve