Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have aglide. When I shifted into 2nd gear the check engine

Customer Question

I have a*****glide. When I shifted into 2nd gear the check engine light came on and the throttle wouldn't increase speed. Please help...
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on. The bike still runs but won't increase speed...
JA: What is the model of your '09 motorcycle?
Customer: Harley street glide 2009
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I would like to fix myself but don't know how to retrieve the code so I'll know what's wrong....
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of....
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did shut the motorcycle off and restarted it and the throttle increased the RPM's but the light stayed on...
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

we should check for diagnostic codes before doing anything else.

The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).
Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTCs the code will be displayed or the word none will appear if there are no DTCs. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTCs are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTCs again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected.

"No Rsp" (no response) will also appear if the run/off switch is in the off position when doing this procedure.

let me know what you find.

Steve