Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

I have a 2006 dyna-wideglide and it spits out through air

Customer Question

I have a 2006 dyna-wideglide and it spits out through air cleaner after I start it and dies. ive also noticed that it pops more out the exhaust on decell. I did have a pcIII on it at one time. took it off cuz it did it worse
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

the "carb cough" is a symptom of a lean mis-fire.

it could be due to a tuning issue, a charging system problem or just an intake vacuum leak.

- to find out f it's a intake vacuum leak, spray carb cleaner on the intake seals (where the throttle body connects to the heads) while the engine is at idle. you will know right away if you have a leak.

- if you measure the battery voltage with the engine at around 2,000 rpm (fast idle), it should read around 14.2 vdc. let me know if it is not.

- if you have resolved any intake leak issues and the cough at the intake persists, you will need to have the ECM tuned. this will require re-connecting the Power Commander and have a dyno tune performed.

let me know if you need more help.