RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner

2016 KTm 450sxf I would like to stiffen my forks in the mid

Customer Question

2016 KTm 450sxf
I would like to stiffen my forks in the mid stroke by adding 10 cc of fork oil to the forks.
My owners manual says the forks have an oil capacity of 670 ml.
My question is, what is the stock oil amount or oil height from top of forks ?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

In some cases info like this can be difficult to obtain.You may be able to obtain this info from a dealer or repair center in your area that works on this model as they may be able to tell you the oil capacity on these here at no charge usually.If this is not an option for you or was already attempted let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have already been to my dealer. I was surprised that he did not have a specific answer for the stock oil amount. The KTM manufacture makes 1000's of these bikes. I would think they put the same amount in every bike. I am not looking for the capacity, I have that in my owners manual. I'm currently changing fork seals and some of the stock oil has leaked out, so I don't have the original amount or height from the top of the forks. My forks are to soft in the mid stroke and sometimes bottom out. I don't want to turn the compression clicker any more stiffer or in the harder direction. 10cc should be a noticeable difference. I still need the stock oil amount or height from the top of the forks as a starting point.
( my Yamaha owners manual tells me the stock height of my yz250.)
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I am confused, you stated up front the manual states 670ml. That is the fork capacity. If you have run the bike long enough to develop a fork seal leak, you should change the oil anyhow. I am not aware of any manufacturer that publishes a conversion from cc to oil height. As you stated, Yamaha does publish both for stock, but they are not going to tell you to put xx cc's in to raise the fork oil level 10mm.

The simplest solution is to drain the oil out, put 670cc (1cc=1ml) back in, collapse the forks, measure the distance to the oil from the top of the leg, then add fluid, subtract 10mm from the 670cc level measurement and suck out the excess down to the stock height - 10mm.

However, that being said, I think what you really need to achieve the damping you desire is to re-valve for mid-stroke. The bottoming can be addressed with compression. My next question is, what is your static sag with you on the bike, geared up?