Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have recently acquired a 2009 softail i dont know much

Customer Question

hi i have recently acquired a 2009 softail i dont know much about harleys anyway it was riding to storeage on the ride the rider lost the fob key i believe so once he pulled up the alarm went off so he googled about code to turn it off now that worked altho now bike wont start and it was to be sold today so i need to no what needs to be done to fix it asap so i dont lose the buyer
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

if you just needed to ride it to, say, the dealership for repair, you can use the same code used previously to disarm the security system and ride the motorcycle.

but since you're selling it, the proper thing to do is purchase a new FOB from the HD dealership and have them adapt it to your bike. they will require proof of ownership to do that.

if you don't want to do that, the buyer should expect you to lower the price for the inconvenience and expense of doing it himself, if he still even wants the bike. everyone selling a stolen Harley says he just lost the FOB.

if it were me, I'd arrange with the dealership to replace the FOB and hope the buyer understands and is willing to wait.

Steve