Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I got on my 07 flstn softail this morning to go ride. the

Customer Question

i got on my 07 flstn softail this morning to go for a ride. the bike started as normal and i was on my way when about 5 min into my ride the bike suddenly died. i coasted into a parking lot and found that i had lost all power. with the ignition on i literally have no lites, speedo, oil presser lite ...nothing. i checked all fuses and the battery is on its second year and has a full charge. i made sure the kill switch is in the correct position and thats fine so im at a loss . can you help me?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

there are very few things that can cause a loss of ALL electrical.

- battery

- MAXI fuse

- ignition switch

- wiring to any of those.

- start by checking the MAXI fuse with an ohm meter. replace as necessary.

- measure the battery voltage. it should read 12.7 vdc. if not, charge the battery and let me know what the voltage was. verify BOTH ends of ALL battery cables have a clean and tight connection. tug on the cables to make sure they are crimped tight to the lugs.

- lift up the dash and make sure the ignition switch harness is FIRMLY attached to the ignition switch spade terminals.

- let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i just got back from the dealership where I bought 2 40 amp fuses and popped both of them. I will admit I have limited knowledge but I think I have a direct short somewhere and everyone I talk to is telling me that this isba serious matter because it is the main fuse and this hardly ever happens. I will say that I spent all day yesterday washing the bike because we got into quite a thunderstorm sat afternoon and I have a feeling water lies at thr bottom of this problem...steve, if you can please give me a call tomorrow [ wed.] because it is almost 5pm eastern time and i'm sure you are off the clock by now. thanks,tom
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

Tom,

sorry, I don't do phone calls.

as far as when I'm off the clock......I usually have this question page open from when I get up in the morning until I go to bed, checking it whenever I have some free time. I do have a day job, but it's a real good day job with freedom to do as I wish as long as my work gets done.

- the 40A maxi fuse gets power from the battery by way of a wire on the starter bolted to the same post as the battery POS cable.

- the load side connects to the voltage regulator, ignition switch and battery and ECM fuses.

- disconnect the voltage regulator connector (with the red and black wires), ignition switch and pull the battery and ecm fuses.

- you should be able to install the maxi fuse and it should not blow.

- either check the maxi fuse socket with an ohm meter or leave a fuse installed and reconnect all of the things you disconnected, one at a time until the fuse blows. you will then know in which circuit your short to ground is and allow you to track it down and correct it.

- if I were you, I would purchase the HD service manuals for your bike. there is a service manual and a electrical diagnostics manual. I also like the parts catalog as it contains assembly diagrams of every part on your bike, along with a hardware section in the back.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
steve, it's 7 am and I read your reply, thanks for that info and i'll be getting to work on the bike at some point this am. i'm going to see if I can get those manuals on line and read them so it will probably take a while before I get back to you. tom
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
steve, yesterday I got into the repair doing as you suggested and when I got to the starter I found the post that the battery pos cable went to and there was nothing else on it but the pos cable. well, I just had a feeling about this thing as was trying to do and I figured rather than causing more problems to just bring to a repair shop. well the tech told me that it is a good thing not to mess with this as I could possibly cause serious damage. anyway, I wanted to give it a shot just in case something like this happens on the road to one of our bikes we might have a chance to repair it on the road . thanks for your input and i'm sorry I wasn't a better student. you were very helpful and considerate. you get a "A" from me. happy riding , tom
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

Glad I could help.

please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve