RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

I have an issue with my 99 Suzuki quad runner 160 4 wheeler.

Customer Question

I have an issue with my 99 Suzuki quad runner 160 4 wheeler. When I shift to 1st gear it wants to go fwd and the engine dies unless I'm giving it gas. I've already checked my idle speed and it's fine. Is there a way to adjust my clutch maybe loosen it?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

There is an adjustment for the clutch and it is certainly worth a shot. it is on the left side. I will attach a link to a parts diagram that will show you where it is.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=suzukiatv&a=113&b=8&c=0&d=1999%20LT-F160X%20%20QUADRUNNER%20CLUTCH

The adjuster is reference #25. You would want to break the lock nut loose, back that screw out till there is no tension on it, then screw it back in until it JUST touches, then back it off 1/2 turn, lock the lock nut down right there.

However, there is another variable. There is a centrifugal clutch, as you see in the diagram, components #1-5. If something has happened causing those brake shoe looking parts to get stuck in the out position, it will give you the same symptom. There is no way for me to be more specific from here.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have seen this diagram but I cannot locate where it is on the 4 wheeler. I have looked all over and cannot find this adjustment lock nut and screw. Is it behind a cover of some sort?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

Have you removed the cover pictured here? Reference #14?

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=suzukiatv&a=113&b=41&c=0&d=1999%20LT-F160X%20%20QUADRUNNER%20CRANKCASE%20COVER

If it is not under that cover, then yes, you are going to have to remove the side cover to make that adjustment. I apologize but it has been since around 1999 that I have seen one of these. :)

Thanks

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will give that a try tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that cover is the oil sight glass. I'm going to end up changing the oil anyways. Yeah it's hard to find help on this old bird but I'm not gonna give up on her.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

Excellent. I can see it does include the sight glass but looking at the other end opposite of the site glass, especially the gasket, looks like it is surrounding something else, such as the clutch adjuster. It is worth popping it off to have a look no matter what.

Customerbr />
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay so I tried adjusting the set screw for the clutch and no go. It's still giving me the same issue.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

The clutch is going to have to be disassembled. It must have internal damage that is causing it to drag. Once you get it apart, it should be pretty obvious what the damage is. In the event you aren't sure what is damaged, take some pictures and attach them here and we can discuss it further.

Thanks

Customer/p>