Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 1986 Honda shadow vt700 which only starts on full

Customer Question

I have a 1986 Honda shadow vt700 which only starts on full choke and backfires after it warms up and is running at or above 2500 rpm. When riding it looses power and appears to be running on less than 4 cylinders. Please advise what is or might be the problem.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

This is a common problem on bikes that have been sitting. The gas goes bad in the carbs and plugs up the pilot jets. Pilot jets are responsible for supplying fuel at lower throttle openings, after warm up.

The reason it starts ok is you are using the fuel enrichener circuit (choke) which is an alternate fuel supply. Once the bike gets warm, the enrichener circuit supplies too much fuel and needs to be turned off. Your bike is idling high because someone has turned in the idle speed adjuster to attempt to compensate for the no idle condition created by the plugged pilot jets.

The carbs are going to need to be taken off, taken apart, cleaned and inspected, re-installed and synchronized.

Let me know if you want to attempt this and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Customer/p>