Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

I have a 1996 Honda shadow it keeps fouling out the plugs

Customer Question

hello I have a 1996 Honda shadow it keeps fouling out the plugs and runs rich I did have carb redone lol now the battery is dead help
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 1996 Honda shadow vlx? I bought it from a car dealer said just need carb cleaned haha funny
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: hope so I know some backyard manchic lol
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: well I keep changing plus good at it lol I payed a guy to do carb
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 3 months ago.

Hi, is it oil or fuel fouling the plugs? Is it smoking and if so what color smoke?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Plugs smell like gas and blk when it was running blk smoke came out like running Rich tryed some Seaform.a friend of mine thinks it's got a the motor
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I change plugs and charge battery it was starting but running Rich. Once plugs get fouled out ain't starting
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, is the idle high? ...sure of the "...carb redone..."? ...carbs mounted correctly with no possible leak?

Still, let's try a few test and review of the basics; first check the battery voltage:

• - at least 12.7V when idling;
  • - but not to exceed 14.5V ~ 15.0V when revving
  • - if overly high, try/run with the regulator temporarily disconnected.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I charge the battery I clean the plugs it wants to start but it still won't I think from trying to start it so much that if I wear the battery down there also was oil in the gas before it a friend of mine changed it and worked on the carb
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just don't have the extra money to take it in to a Honda dealer
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

I understand.

Check the battery voltages as above posted.

If have not been tried; inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Check for presence and consistency of spark when attempting to start.

And it would be necessary to have a compression check or perhaps better yet, a leak down test.